Tel Aviv University
Attract the brightest minds from across the country and around the globe; be one of Israel's most important research centres; help to shape Israel's social future, opening the doors of knowledge and opportunity to all.
Tel Aviv University came into being through the dedicated efforts of visionaries who foresaw the need for an additional university in Israel's rapidly growing central region. In the 1930s, the idea was promoted by then mayor of Tel Aviv, Meir Dizengoff, with whose encouragement two post-secondary education facilities were opened during the British Mandate period: The Biological-Pedagogical Institute and the School of Law and Economics. After the establishment of the State, Haim Levanon, Deputy Mayor of Tel Aviv in the early 1950s and mayor from 1953-59, energetically campaigned for the founding of a second Israeli university, to be located in Tel Aviv. The idea was eventually realised on August 16, 1953, when the Municipal Council of Tel Aviv-Jaffa decided to transform the Biological-Pedagogical Institute into the Academic Institute of Natural Sciences, under the leadership of Prof. Heinrich Mendelssohn, which would “form the core of a future university.” It was located at the Abu Kabir campus in southern Tel Aviv, and had 24 students in its first year.